Wednesday, April 27, 2011

BAND OF BABIES



When my kids were little, there wasn’t a lot of money for things other than necessities. Every now and then there would be a dollar or two left over which I could use to buy something really cheap, like a jump rope or jax with a small rubber ball.

We were broke, but happy. They never knew anything was different.

After the first baby, they seemed to come in succession, one being born right after the other. It seems as if I had just laid one down on the floor to roll around with the others, when another one took its place in my arms.

Being born so close together, it gave them a camaraderie which is still evident today. They have so many memories of their childhood, as do I, and holiday times are a special time to rejoice and remember when things were different and some times simpler.

I spent most of my time in the kitchen, whether it be doing dishes (no dishwasher), doing laundry (no dryer) or tending to little ones. Since there were more babies than I had arms, they inevitably ended up on the floor.

One of their favorite toys to play with were the pots and pans under the sink. A long wooden spoon and a few plastic measuring cups created a symphony that only a mother could love or appreciate. Misshapen and mismatched pot covers and plastic Tupperware strewn all over the kitchen, I wish I had taken a picture. My memory will have to do.

I can still see them in my minds eye, toothless grins and open mouthed like birdies waiting for dinner. The delight when they all ended up playing in rhythm, a brigade band of babies marching no where, their joy was palpable.

At this point in my life I am able to afford pretty much whatever I want, and I am looking forward to purchasing a new set of pots, complete with matching utensils and lids.

I am thinking of laying them all out on the floor, just one more time. The grandkids are coming over.

No comments: