Monday, June 29, 2009

I AIN'T DEAD EITHER



I took a comedy class recently and I have to say it was a lot of fun.

Graduation day consisted of performing at the Comedy Club in Webster last night in front of a crowd of 75 people who were either members of the other students families, friends and coworkers. My ballerina idol (see "We Little Ballerinas") and yoga instructor was also there, which made me very happy. A veteran of Broadway herself, she gave me the inspiration to perform again. Since my husband is a professional touring comedian, I was glad that he was able to make my virgin solo performance.

True, I have worked on stage with him before, being Gracie to his George, Meara to his Stiller, and if you want to go back further, Martin to his Lewis. I have always been his straight man and he’s refitted some of his jokes to give me some great punch lines.

But that evening I was up there on my own, performing my own material and taking the risk of failing, i.e., not being funny. I was the only woman and probably the second oldest by a gray hair. The "elder" who took the class with me has been to open mics as long as I have known my husband, and he started shortly before I met him, which would be about 6 years ago. Both of us Irish, it was evident why we were up there.

We like to laugh and make others laugh, too. Our attitudes were of “Yeah, we’re not kids, but we ain’t dead, either.”

I’m proud to say we both did a good job.

I like to constantly challenge myself, and this definitely brought back some memories.

One of the exercises we were given in class was to remember the first time you were so excited about something and couldn’t wait to tell somebody about it. For me it was the first time I performed on a stage – an 8 year old tap dancer, I had a solo performance since I had quickly advanced to dancing with the ‘big girls’, teenagers who let me take center stage and wow them. I remember the genuine shock in their eyes and the joy they felt right along with me as I danced my little heart out. I was a ham from birth, and took advantage of every opportunity to perform.

The next part of the exercise was to remember the last time you felt that excitement.

Ten years later, the 8 year old was performing in the musical “Fiddler on the Roof” and I played Golde. I had to sing and really act, surprising even myself.

When it came time to take the bow, I got a standing ovation – the audience on their feet and cheering me – and let me tell you, nothing can compare to that sweet sound of applause. There is nothing like it, and I can understand why some people spend a lifetime chasing after that sound, to hear it one more time and let it wash over you. I was genuinely stunned and began to cry, overwhelmed by the recognition. My boyfriend (who later became my first husband) was there and I bet if I asked him, he would remember it too.

I never felt that way again until last night. Although they didn’t give me an ovation, I was 8 years old again, dancing and mugging for anyone who would watch and it reassured what I had felt from the very beginning. Selling my first book came close, but its a different kind of excitement.

I’m no kid, but I ain’t dead yet. That’s what its really all about. Don't let any opportunity to make yourself feel good pass you by. Life is far too short and our final bow comes when you least expect it.

No comments: