Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just Landed

Just landed is a phrase I usually text to those who need to know I have arrived at my destination safely, whether it was by airplane, train or driving myself. 


Little did I know that it would become a metaphor for my life and the title of my next book. 


Consider this.  


The first night I arrived home I slept like a rock.  When I woke up the next day, the sun was shining brightly and the birds were singing.  Loudly.  


I looked out the bedroom window and was astonished to see that the white picket fence normally surrounding the front of our house was gone!  Vanished!  I could see the holes where the posts had been stuck in the ground, but the yard was wide open, expansive and inviting.


How could someone steal an entire picket fence?  I thought to myself, and how could I not have heard them do it? 


I went back to sleep, incredulous at these turn of events. 


When I awoke again, I rushed to the window once more to see if the fence was still missing. 


Of course, it was there.  


It was never gone. 


I sat on the edge of the bed and thought about it for a very long time. 


I realized that I had experienced a dream, a very VIVID dream.  It was so real to me, I was shaken for most of the day every time I thought about it. 


Then realized what a gift it was. 


You don't have to be Freud to figure this one out. 



No comments: