Sunday, May 22, 2011

Seeing and Believing


Well, the Rapture came and went and I’m still here.

I knew I would be.  My faith tells me that no man can determine when the end will come.  [Matthew 24:36    36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,but only the Father.”]

It has been an interesting few weeks.  My husband recently went under the knife and was required to stay hospitalized for two days, which meant I got to stay in a hotel every evening.   We went to the Veteran’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah about a three hour drive from Idaho Falls.  I’ve never been to Utah and wanted to check out the scenery. Plus, I wanted to view the holy land for the Mormons, somewhat akin to being in Rome and visiting the Pope.


The day before his scheduled surgery we took a walk downtown and had a great meal of steaks and fish.  Our hunger satisfied, we headed towards Temple Square.   We saw the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (although didn’t stay to hear them sing) and looked at the pretty flowers surrounding the entire area.   Beautiful stone statutes and monuments create a very interesting tour experience, and the buildings house a variety of educational and spiritual infomericals.  I thought it might alleviate some of the angst he has towards this group, but not sure it did anything.  He still freaks when he sees the white shirts and black pants coming his way, so imagine his anxiety at seeing an entire city full of walking advertisements. 
  
Don’t get me wrong:  I have dear friends who are Mormons and we have always respected each other’s religious differences.  But I have to admit it is a bit overwhelming to live in a place where 80% of the population is one religious denomination.  We have found a church, and even though it is not Roman Catholic, it is Christian and feeds our intellect as well as our soul.   I am content to watch my Mormon brothers and sisters walk to church every Sunday, bibles in hand and eager to proclaim.

While staying at the hotel, I ran into (literally) a few hundred participants in the National Association of the Blind Conference.  To say these people are amazing is an understatement, and I am sure they would be offended if they heard me carry on about them out loud as much as I did inside my head. 

White canes and guide dogs filled the hallways, crammed on elevators and standing outside doorways.  Seeing guides called to them as to what seminar was being held that day as they helped each other find their way.  It was clear who was an old pro, confidently tapping their long white tipped canes to the left and then to the right ahead of them, and those who were one step away from grabbing onto the walls as they proceeded down the corridor.  I have the utmost admiration for them and not sure how brave I would be if I were in their shoes.  They are courageous, but what is the alternative?  To stay locked in a room, afraid to find out what the world has to offer?  I would no doubt be a wall grabber for a long time, but know my curiosity would eventually win out.

“What floor do you want, Miss” asked a smiling young man, no more than 25.  He waited patiently as I maneuvered to the back of the elevator, not wanting to be in anyone’s way.   I gave him my floor number and watched as his fingers deftly looked for the correct button to push. 

“Don’t worry” he continued, grinning wide.  “Have faith.  You’ll get there.” 

So, with the passing of the Rapture and my ever increasing thirst for learning about different faiths and cultures, I was treated this month to that and more. 


For what is faith but believing without seeing, and I was privy to view a world this week where every movement is done with faith and danger lurking around every corner. [ John 9:25   25 He replied, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”]

For I, too, was blind, but now I see.   Faith gets us through many things, like finding the right button on an elevator.

I appreciate the lesson. 

No comments: