Tuesday, September 1, 2009

THE LAST WEEKEND IN AUGUST




It’s the last weekend in August, but the sky looks like October.

The air has that snap to it, reminding us Fall is on the way. The clouds morph from shape to shape, as the geese fly overhead. Heading to points south and wherever else geese go during the winter, they honk their farewells to each other as they pass. Some of them brave the snow and the icicles of the lake; most take heed of the notice and pack their bags to head out.

Although I truly love the snow and enjoy winter activities, the summer season in Western New York is way too short. It was especially brief this summer, a fact I’m sure you’re sick of hearing from me.

For whatever reason, it was deemed this would be the summer we would suffer the loss of a great entertainer, a memorable senator and sunshine filled weekends.

It is also the summer I have signed a contract for my fourth book, a compilation of columns written for various websites, newspapers and magazines.

Aptly named Stories From the Lake, its release date is Christmas, and for that, I am grateful.

Autumn in New York is worth every note of that song, and then some. It is my favorite season and even if it arrives earlier than usual, I will embrace it with open arms. Soon the leaves will be turning brilliant golden yellow and succulent reddish hues. The harvest will begin and the feeling of thankfulness will reign supreme.

The sun always shines, eventually. Sometimes it just hard to wait.

Updates of sorts: It looks like the Pultneyville Pickle has been resurrected, a fact I’m certain we’re all thankful for. The unknown fruit/vegetable is still growing in my yard, although it is still unclear exactly what it is. It has a long stem like a pumpkin or a gourd, leaving us to rethink yet again our final assumption it is a watermelon. When I pick it before the frost, I’ll cut it open. Then our mystery will be solved.

Some of you have been kind enough to ask about how my weight loss program is going. My weigh-in at Weight Watchers these past two months have been less than satisfying, to say the least. I lose three pounds, gain five then lose four. I am trying very hard to keep an optimistic outlook; there’s 3 months until Christmas, the deadline I have given myself. It took me 5 years to put all the weight on; hopefully it won’t take 5 to take it off. But it certainly is nice to sit with the women of Sodus & Williamson who lament the same experience. Like everything else, we’re all in this together.

No comments: